Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,769
Like?
Re: Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?
In reply to Espressoguy, Apr 24, 2013

Espressoguy wrote:

alegator wrote:

I always had the idea that VR should always be OFF unless stricltly necessary, like when shooting in vibration environments. I found a great article

I infer from such article that even with handheld, unless standing on a vibrating surface, VR should be OFF.

What's your feedback on this?

From the article:

"Optimally, we want VR to have a stream of data just prior to pressing the shutter release fully. If we're using AF-ON to focus, our fingers usually aren't pushing the shutter release partially down, too. But you should practice doing just that. Sigh. That right hand is starting to do a pretty complicated dance: AF-ON up and down for focus, shutter release partially down for VR, right thumb dialing in shutter or aperture or exposure adjustments, maybe right middle finger dialing in aperture adjustments, shutter release fully down with the index finger for the shot. This, by the way, is one of the reasons why I prefer Nikon's ergonomics to Canon's"

I had no idea that this is how VR works, and I'm still a little dubious about the aboveĀ 

I don't shoot full manual exposure. I half press the shutter release, the stabilzation turns on, I frame my shot and do a quick release / half press to make sure I'm focused where I want to be, then I press the shutter release and take the photo.

All of this pressing and turning and dialing seems like doing things the very, very hard way.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow