Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,754
Like?
Re: Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 24, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Read Thom's article on VR. There was no benefit to using VR at 1/3200 sec. and possibly some damage. At 1/500 and faster, VR cannot react fast enough to be of use, and if you catch it just right (or just wrong, actually), it will blur edges.

Suppose however that you're shooting at any significant tele or zoom focal length. While you are framing and composing your shot, with VR turned on, your camera's autofocus and metering are getting good solid info about your image up to and after you press the shutter release. With it off, the camera and AF are working with a jittery tele focal length the whole time and your view through the OVF is also jittering around.

It doesn't matter if the shutter speed is going to be fast enough that there won't be motion blur, wouldn't you rather have metering and autofocus that's working with a useable view instead of something shaking all round? I would.

I wouldn't want to risk image degredation unless I had proved to myself that VR was necessary for AF to function properly in the given circumstances. I usually shoot manual exposure, so that wouldn't be an issue.

That's your choice of course. I haven't ever felt I was risking image degradation while using stabilization on any hand-held shot. I only turn off my camera's stabilization when shooting from a tripod when the camera is going to be rock solid. Then, I think there is a chance of the stabilization causing a problem when there is no reason to use it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow