How to achieve this "high key" out door effect

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
How to achieve this "high key" out door effect
Apr 24, 2013

Check out the photos of mother and daughter at the bottom of this photographer's blog page:  A friend of mine insists that this sort of shot can only be achieved via layers in Photoshop.  I've only got Lightroom 4 and Elements 11.

The best I can come up with to emulate this shot is this:

I ended up over-exposing the shot by at least 2 or 3 stops, and then bringing up the exposure/shadows in Elements 11 and increasing contrast.  But this doesn't really achieve the overall light effect I'm going for.  Indeed, if anything the subject looks a tad underexposed.  In Michael Kormos' photos, the subject and the blown out background seem to be more uniformly exposed.

Is this a look that I need Photoshop to achieve, or is there a technique straight out of the camera that I need to understand to achieve this?  Any ideas?  Thanks!

-- hide signature --

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality
through not dying. (Woody Allen)

CoolHandLu's gear list:CoolHandLu's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +18 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow