Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
olliess
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
Re: No - My D400 must be an all-around camera
In reply to PatMann, Apr 24, 2013

PatMann wrote:

I am looking for a rugged, weatherproof and durable camera for general use for travel, landscape, performance, street shooting, that also shoots action and provides the DX crop for budget (up to the $2500 or so range, not the exotics) long lenses when shooting birds.

You like printing large, but I wonder much would it impact you if you could shoot FF for wide angles and landscapes, and switch to a 12 or 16 MP DX crop mode when you want extra reach for birding?

I'm looking for a D300s with an up-to-date sensor, AF to f/8, and a couple of other ergonomic and tech upgrades, plus some attention to the DX lens range.

A couple of key DX prime lenses (24mm f/1.4, 16 or 18mm f/2 in particular, 55mm or 60mm f/1.4 would also be very nice) are also really needed to make the DX system complete.

If you had the FF capability described above, you could get the equivalent or better performance using the 35 f/2, 24 mm or 28 mm f/2.8, 85 mm f/1.8 -- all lenses that already exist.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you -- these are just the thoughts I've been going through in the wake of non-D400-existence.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow