ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jozef M
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Test: My sharpest possible image with OM-D + 12mm
Apr 24, 2013

Hello,

I'm looking a lot at the Sigma DP-Merill series cameras lately, they have such an amazing resolution and incredible sharpness with their Foveon sensor.

So I decided to test and take the sharpest possible photo with my OM-D and 12mm, to see what it could do. I took much care to expose very carefully, used the red blinkies not to over expose. Shot in raw ofcourse, made a DNG file from it to develop in Photoshop CS4. I used very carefully the tone curve, set the sharpening at 80, pixel radius at 0,6, detail at 70 and masking at 25. Color noise reduction at 33. I set the defringe at: highlight edges. I work with a calibrated monitor, and if I sharpen more and set detail higher, then the image looks completely over the top, and unnatural oversharpened. So this is it, saved the photo in jpg size 11 and srgb.

I hope that you other image freaks like me can make some time and look at the photo in 'original size'. I'm content with the resolution and sharpness, maybe I overlooked something and you have suggestions to get even more resolution out of this camera-lens combination. I think f/7,1 is the best aperture for max DOF and minimal difraction. Using f/11 would make things worse, I bet.

Image wise, this is no match for the DP-Merill Sigma camera resolution, but the OM-D is a much better and useful camera.

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Olympus OM-D E-M5
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I doNew
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow