Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?
Re: Beta test of Sigma 50-500 OS
In reply to Lin Evans, Apr 24, 2013

Lin Evans wrote:

hwg wrote:

just to be clear are we talking about the

Nikon 300mm f4 D AF-S IF ED Lens?

e.g.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-300mm-f4-d-af-s-if-ed-lens/p12882

i was considering the bigma 50-500 but as it appears it is not too sharp at teh 500 mm end then i don't see the point.

it sounds like the nikon 300mm + 1.4x or 1.7x converter would give the better IQ but obviusly not at convieient as a zoom.

but if the IQ is not there in the bigma then there is no point.

Am i correcting in saying the 300mm f4 has better IQ than the Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR II ?

-- hide signature --

Harry

Hi Harry,

The Sigma 50-500 OS is very sharp even at 500mm. I'm not certain if the OP used OS or not, but if you are shooting from a tripod, you must turn OS off or you will not get good results. OS in the Sigma (and most stabilized lenses) is for hand holding.

Proper technique and proper shutter speeds are very important. I beta tested the 50-500 OS before it was released and found it to be excellent throughout the range. Here's a link to my results for anyone interested.

Click on the thumbnails for larger image and on the larger image for full resolution - these made with Sigma SD10 dSLR... All shots are hand-held.

Link to beta test of Sigma 50-500 OS

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

I tried the 50-500mm os after i sold my Sigma 120-400mm os and I found it no better then the 120-400mm. I was disappointed because i had seen a lot of great photos taken with it and had extensively used the non os bigma for a summer with my D50 which i found to be great at the time.      I decided on the 300mm f4 af-s with 1.4tc and am happy i did it was great on my D300 and i find it equally as good on my D800.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow