RAID,.....how to?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
Re: RAID,.....how to?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 24, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

Yes, it is clear enough, i said i will not get busy going with RAID 0 yet, i am very vey happy with SSD now without RAID, i was working with only 5400 HDD and i can see the big mprovments when i moved to SSD, i got Samsung Pro as my first ever and what an SSD it is, so never look back.

Now i know about RAID 0 and you told me about RAID 1 too, now what is RAID 2 or RAID 5 or another numbers?

Raid 0 is for speed, raid 1 is for mirroring which allows for redundancy though there are limits to this. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology software/hardware has a pretty good implementation of this instead of the standard raid 1. The only problem with this is it does not replace a backup so to me this is wasting a disk.

Raid 5 is more for uptime all the time. If you had a computer that ran all day and all night and serviced customers or webpages, if a drive fails, you put another one in and it keeps on going like nothing happened. Most people don't need this and it is for business applications where the computer absolutely cannot go down.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow