Best Aperture Intervals in Nex E-mount Lenses

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Aperture Intervals in Nex E-mount Lenses
In reply to husahin, Apr 24, 2013

husahin wrote:

Hi all, I have nex-5n with 18-55 mm kit lens, 55-210 telephoto lens and 16 mm pancake lnes with wide angle adapter. What are the best aperture and focal length intervals for these lenses? Can you share your experiences?

The 18-55 seems to be better at middle focal lengths -- say, 24mm to 35mm -- and stopped down a bit (say, f5.6).  I don't find 55mm too bad, but 18mm end is poor until you step down a bit.

I haven't used the 55-210 enough to have a feel for it.  Probably better to stop down a bit, when you can.

The 16 will give me extremely soft corners until f7.1, but at wider apertures between 2.8 and 7.1, the extreme softness is pushed well into the corners as you stop down meaning I can use some other apertures knowing that only a small amount of the photo is affected.  Also, indoors doesn't seem as affected (it's not as bad).

Of course, if you don't have enough light, you can't often afford to step down the aperture, and you get what you get.  It's usually not so bad.  These lenses on a Nex still are much better than a P&S....

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow