X20 OVF

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
TerenceA
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: X20 OVF
In reply to TerenceA, Apr 24, 2013

Hi!

Something I "understood" today about the OVF (it's not detailed in the manual): when in M, A or S modes, the little arrows, normally associated with the exposure icon, show us if we need to "raise" or "lower" the aperture or speed.

These arrows, associated with the exposure icon, appear in the OVF when we have turned the exposure compensation dial. However, without the exposure icon, they appear as follows:

In M mode:

• if the combination aperture-speed will give an overexposed picture, the "up" arrow appear: we can understand it as "raise the speed" or "raise the F number", which will give the same result concerning exposition.
  • if the combination will give an underexposed picture, the "down" arrow will appear. It's finally the opposite of the "exposure needle" in my dad's Asahi Pentax ;) .

What's more, this is true even when no "half pressing" has been done. It's done all the time.

In S mode:

• if the speed will lead to an overexposed picture, the up arrow will appear for the same reasons than above.
  • if the speed will lead to an underexposed picture, the down arrow will appear for the same reasons than above.

The arrows show us if we need to raise or lower the speed.

Contrary to the M mode, this is done only when "half pressing" the shutter button.

In A mode:

• if the aperture will lead to an overexposed picture, the up arrow will appear for the same reasons than above.
  • the down arrow doesn't appear in this mode because the X20 is able to select a very low speed to achieve the correct exposure (but the "blur alert" will appear...)

Contrary to the M mode, this is done only when "half pressing" the shutter button.

I think most of you had already understood all of this, but I wanted to help if it was not the case!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow