Best type of light for portaiture?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Questions thread
mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
Re: Best type of light for portraiture?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Apr 24, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

I've seen just as many give up because they are told they need $5000 dollars worth of equipment to "do it right."  The "investment" in speedlights and triggers is low, and isn't wasted if one upgrades to monolights because they are still useful when traveling.  Alternatively, I've seen guys buy entire three light studios and not have a clue what to do, sending light every which way and giving up as well.

You forget that this is DPR where:

- Everything that but the current generation Top-Of-The-Line cameras can take only snap shots

- If there is not a 'red stripe' on the lens the glass is junk

- Natural lighted portraits are snap shots

- Only 'pros' can produce portraits, anything else is a snap shot

- If the portrait does not look like it was stolen from a fashion/glamor rag its a snap shot

- Your work is junk unless your netting 6 figures as a full time photographer

- $5000 of lighting gear is required to create anything but a snap shot

If it has not already been mentioned, I'd recommend to the OP to get the book "Light Science & Magic" along with "The Hot Shoe Diaries". Youtube is your friend. There are 100's of short and information packed videos on portrait photography.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
http://flickr.com/photos/mbloof
www.Marko-Photo.com
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow