sRGB vs. RGB Locked

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
GMartin
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Re: sRGB vs. RGB - Rudeness is its own reward ...
In reply to John King, Apr 24, 2013

John King wrote:

GMartin wrote:

John King wrote:

Gidday GM

I address colour spaces and the basics of a colour managed workflow here:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51344996

GMartin wrote:

Since digital ceme on the scene ive always used RGB for my color space when shooting.

But all websites and Facebook post their photos based on the sRGB color space. And I assume

that printing labs do also.

Just one of many reasons why I do my own printing ...

If I switch over to sRBG will my colors look better when I post on galleries and Facebook ? I see many images that just look amazing and wonder " How the hell did they get their colors to look like that ? "

Always convert to sRGB for the web. The web runs on sRGB, unfortunately. sRGB is incapable of reproducing most colours faithfully - i.e. accurately.

I edit everything in PS, shoot largest JPEG and am not into the RAW capture. I know that many photogs swear by RAW but my question always was " well you shoot raw, you edit raw, then change to jpeg once your're done".........once you change your files to jpeg, don't you lose all the advantages of everything you just did.......capture raw, edit raw, final files jpeg.....i dont get it.......what am I missing ?

I never convert image files to JPEGs ... I save images as 16 bit .PSD files using the ProPhotoRGB colour space.

I cannot understand where the idea of converting edited image files to JPEG even came from; let alone how it gained any kind of currency ...
My continual mantra is never throw away data, you can never get it back!

Once you convert from a high bit (= 16 bit), wide gamut colour space to a low bit (= 8 bit), narrow gamut colour space, you lose all the benefits of the high bit, wide gamut colour space.

On top of this, JPEG files use a lossy compression format, so you lose data yet again .

May I suggest that you re-read all of Barrie Davis' posts in this thread?
He has actually answered all your questions ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

I guess if one is working in high end commercial work all of those large files would be needed, but for 1000 wedding pics it's ridiculous to work in that arena. I have never had a client ask me if my files were srgb or adobe rgb, 8 bit or 16 bit.....they just tell me how they love my images, how I capture the essence of the moment and love handing over their money to me......the rest is for people with nothing better to do than  to argue over color space and which one is better....blah blah blah............my color space is green, as in CASH.........

I am surprised that they will even speak to you if you approach them as you have approached myself and others who have put quite some time and effort into attempting to answer your question.

I have known most of the people who have responded to you in this thread for years. All have tried to explain to you in simple terms (by necessity - Blatner & Fraser, among others, have written thousands of pages on this subject alone ... ).

Not one of these people have been arguing about colour spaces. All have been trying to help you to understand something that you patently do not understand.

As for myself, I have spent an hour or more writing considered responses to your question.

Perhaps I should not have bothered. Others patently feel the same.

Why do you feel the need to be rude and abusive towards those who have merely been trying to help you?

-- hide signature --

-

Rudeness ? Apparently you failed to read all of the responses to my questions. But hey, I understand how forums roll....there's a little click of members who feel that THIS is THEIR forum......and anyone NOT in their little circle isn't as worthy as they are....so they can make sarcastic insults masked as answers and then when the responder remarks to them, they then call him out as being rude........par for the course with all forums and the little clicks that claim them as their own......ho hum.........nothing new here.......move along........

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow