Stupid printer (dpi) question, or maybe not so stupid.

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Freeman-Jo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,579Gear list
Like?
Stupid printer (dpi) question, or maybe not so stupid.
Apr 24, 2013

I don't print stuff myself because to me the concept of calibrating printer seem like a dark art to me(no relation to Harry Hotter here). I mean, for me, as a non-professional protographer who don't print on daily basis, it seem more trouble than it worth. But I like big print. Generally I just grab a printer profile from drycreek and order 12x18 or 20x30 at Costco. And if I'm lazy, then I just convert to sRGB instead before uploading. If my process is wrong, or then you are welcome to make suggestion. I probably have around ten or more of 20x30 and over fifty 12x18 and have them around the house. Since they are inexpensive I am not worry much. I can order more print for that price. So my knowledge in this area is tiny.

Well, today I just saw DPR posting about new printer review and thinking wow, nice, DPR doing printer review too. Probably not gonna want to print myself still. And then I see the printer spec 4800x2400 dpi and it hit me. I mean, is there a reason to make that kind of high-res print? I mean, can human eyes can even tell anything even higher res than 1200x1200 dpi at maybe 6inches away? And exactly what are you going to print? I mean seriously 4800x2400 dpi is roughly 11.5MP per inch. So, to print at 13x19 at that resolution would require roughly 2.85GigaPixel. Do people very shoot w/gigapan and make that kind of print? Can somebody who understand this kind of stuff explain this to me?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow