NO More D660 OIL threads PLEASE

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,880Gear list
Like?
Kindergarten II, the Sequel
In reply to chlamchowder, Apr 23, 2013

chlamchowder wrote:

The internet also allows for unremitting pedantry, represented as insight and discovery, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, delivered with an almost Aspergian quality.

Yes, that is one possible shortcoming of free speech...but I'm willing to tolerate that because preventing people from posting stuff I don't want to hear about has pretty bad consequences.

In the case where we have an indexed, time-ranked interface to this pedantry, like the front page of the forum, it can detract from what could be an enjoyable experience reading about other, more useful photography-related subjects.

I think this is where we differ. I don't think a forum's main purpose is to provide enjoyable reading. To me, a forum should first aim to provide a space for discussion, question-asking, and debate.

But I still don't think dust/left focus/whatever threads detract from the experience as long as you can scroll past them and look at only what you're interested in. It can be difficult to filter out information, but I think that skill is useful in a wide variety of situations (outside of this site, and even outside the internet), and therefore is definitely worth learning.

Except no-one comes here to learn how to 'filter out information', they come to gather information.

Filtering out information is something you learned long before you came here;  listing that as a positive by-product of using this forum is like saying learning how to recover from injury is a great reason for playing sports.

Next time you see the forum index, for each post, think about whether you're interested. If not, move on. You don't have to look into it, or even think about it.

Really?  I wish I had thought of that!  

If you get to the end of the front page, you can always move to the next page. After a while, you'll train your mind to automatically ignore posts you're not interested in, so all the time you spend on the forum will be focused on topics you do care about.

Thanks for the tips, but you're not talking to kindergartners here.  We know how to use the forum, and we know when it's being polluted by inane, repetitive me-too posts.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow