My next lens is not what I thought it would be...

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,630Gear list
Like?
My next lens is not what I thought it would be...
Apr 23, 2013

I have been planning on getting the 12-35 as my next lens purchase. I live on a small island in Micronesia and it is all but impossible to try or even hold anything before I buy. Based on my normal shooting I figured the sealed 12-35 would work best for my needs on the GH3.

Every now and then I do see a tourist with a M4/3’s camera and I did try one of the pens one night at dinner by starting up a conversation with the person at the next table. There was a language barrier so it was just a quick try with my memory card.

This last weekend I had a booth at our annual arts festival and was selling small matted prints as well as large canvas prints. I sold gallery wrapped canvas prints as large as 36x48 that were shot with both the GF1 and GH2 and had lots of people pose for a picture with a 30x40 shot of a turtle.

I was just hanging in the booth when a guy walked by with a EM5 and he looked American so I called him over. He was the first person I’d seen with the EM5 and on it was the 12-35. We started talking and he was on island to shoot some video and had all the best toys. He had the EM5, GH3, 12-35, 35-100 and lots of expensive toys like a steady cam and $2K tripod. I had hit the jack pot!

He let me try the 12-35 and I found it impressive, but then I put on the 35-100 and fell in love instantly. I shot with it for an hour or two while he played with my 25 1.4. The lens is simply amazing and it is now my next must have lens.

On a side note he had nothing bad to say about the GH3 or the EM5. He loved the IBIS on the EM5 and uses it with his unstablized 9-18 and the 25 .95, and uses the GH3 with the two 2.8’s. He has a bag to take the EM5 underwater and I told him I’d take him on a shallow dive so he can test out the video underwater.

It was a long tiring weekend, but I was so excited to get to play with some new gear and it had a big impact on my buying decision for my next lens. I haven’t had a chance to play with his EM5 but hope to get an opportunity to do so before he leaves.

I’ll try and post a few shots from the 35-100 later if anyone is interested.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow