new HD with my operating system on it as main drive...

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,831
Like?
EZBCD
In reply to Msongs, Apr 23, 2013

Msongs wrote:

I have a drive with win7 on it now. would benefit from a clean install to dump lots of clutter over the past year. also has my data files of course.

so if I got a new HD and put win7 on that and used the original drive as backup and data source, is there a problem with the new drive win7 as win7 is still running on the older drive?

Or do I have to get rid of win7 on the now-to-be secondary drive first? I have the complete version of win78 that I bought retail, not an OEM

-- hide signature --

Msongs
batik & digital art, t shirts and more!

You don't have to get rid of your old windows 7 boot.

Disconnect old windows drive sata connector and plug that sata connector into new drive.

Install new hard drive (could be SSD or not) and freshly install windows on it.

Plug in old hard drive with old windows 7 on it using a different hard drive.

Boot your system. Install a free program called EZBCD. Tell it to find your old OS (it has a recovery function that looks for other installs other than the one you are booted to) after it has found it, name it to something your recognize.

When you reboot, you will have two choices on a black screen to boot to new OS or old OS.

When I first purchased a computer, I backed the computer up when it was brand new installed my new second hard drive with the same OS as the first one. Never had an issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow