LR5b vs. Ap3 speed comparison

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,168Gear list
Like?
Re: LR5b vs. Ap3 speed comparison
In reply to Alpha Doug, Apr 23, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

OK.  I ran a few tests.  I ran the tests on AP3.4.4, LR 4, and LR 5 Beta.  Essentially, LR4 and LR5 Beta timed out exactly the same, so I will omit LR 4.  My computer is a 2011 MBP with a 2.2 Ghz i7 Quad core processor, with the AMD 6750 GPU with 1 Gb of Vram.  I have 8 GB of main system memory.  Images imported were the same for both programs, imported from 32 gb SD card using built in SD card slot.  Aperture was set to create previews no larger than the max resolution of my display (1650x 1050), and Lightroom was set for "Standard".

Aperture:

Import 4-24mpx images          6 Seconds

Open from browser to full viewer          3 Seconds

Open from full viewer to 1:1 zoom        2 Seconds

Re-open images from browser having been opened once     Instantaneous

Lightroom:

Import 4-24mpx images          12 Seconds

Open from browser to full viewer         1 Second

OPen from full to 1:1                         5 Seconds

Re-open images from browser having been opened once     Instantaneous

It would appear that Lightroom is doing a little more upfront preparation for viewing in the full viewer than Aperture is (probably why it takes twice as long to import.  At least for me and my setup, I'm not seeing much, if any difference in the speeds at which either program pre-fetches or displays images.  Nothing surely that would keep me from using either program because of speed issues.  The interface is quite another story.

Interesting. This is different again from my results andMPE's results. Three very different experiences. No wonder there's so much disagreement about this topic Thanks for the info on LR4.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow