The best camera company

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,935Gear list
Like?
Sony ... standard once the patent runs out
In reply to DavidPonting, Apr 23, 2013

DavidPonting wrote:

Sony have made what is arguably the largest change to the SLR concept since autofocus (the translucent mirror - I fully expect that to be standard once the patent runs out), but are an eletronics company rather than solely a camera one.

Well, considering Canon had 40 years of semi-transparent ("translucent" means  something entirely different, despite Sony fanboys sabotaging the Wikipedia for the last 3 years) mirror cameras, such as the Pellix and the EOS-RT. the patent ran out a couple of decades ago, yet Sony's Rube Goldberg design has not become "standard".

What has become standard (used by Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and another part of Sony) is the image sensor with integrated phase-detection auto focus. As those get better, we'll see the Canon Sony Pellix SLT vanish. Give it five years...

Honourable mention to m4/3 - which is I think the only example of serious long-term cooperation between otherwise rival companies

I must have missed that "serious long-term cooperation". Oly launched four thirds as totally proprietary, and eventually let one of their contract manufacturers (Panasonic) make a few God-awful DSLRs under their own name (The Panasonic version of the Oly E-volt is best forgotten). Then Panasonic bought Oly's other contract manufacturer (Sanyo) and used their leverage to club Oly into scrapping the ill conceived four-thirds in favor of the much cooler micro-four-thirds.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +42 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow