Pre-Sharpened K5II studio comparison file compared to K5IIs file

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,482
Like?
Re: One of the things I mean to try is ...
In reply to philzucker, Apr 23, 2013

philzucker wrote:

Phil,

I have never been terribly impressed with LR/ACR's sharpening, but your experience may differ.  I believe that ACR has both deconvolution and USM.

Rob

To be honest I never fiddled much with LR sharpening because I usually did output sharpening only. Now with the AA filter thing I began to wonder. I just tested sharpening controls in LR, and have to say that especially in combination with the masking filter LR sharpening is not that bad IMO. For a RAW capture sharpening of a K5II file an amount of around 60-70 combined with radius 1.0 and detail set on 25 (or lower) seems to work fine - and unwanted noise sharpening on uniform areas like a blue sky you can eliminate easily using the masking slider as needed.

I really like the "Alt"-press while adjusting the sliders - gives on a very good sense of what one is actually affecting.

I also tried LR sharpening on the dpreview comparison pic now and got almost the same result as with Nik's Raw Presharpener. I have to conclude that it is usable. At least it's much faster than Nik's.

Phil

-- hide signature --

Phil,

I do not use ACR routinely and am traveling right now and do not have access to the program.  I believe that the default sharpening is deconvolution, while the USM, which is located above it, is set to zero.  In my workflow, I use USM only for creative or output sharpening.  In the raw stage, I prefer deblurring/deconvolution by itself.   If you want to see incredibly good deconvolution, give Photo Ninja a try.  PN is a pretty amazing program.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow