Buying the NEX-5R but deciding on a lens... want a portable GOOD camera

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,863Gear list
Like?
Re: Buying the NEX-5R but deciding on a lens... want a portable GOOD camera
In reply to KellieO, Apr 23, 2013

Did you already purchase the Nex-5R with the E1855 kit lens?

If not, I suggest that you get the E1650P kit lens instead - it makes for a much smaller configuration.

It also alleviates the need for the E16, as this FL is also covered by the E1650P.

I would then add the E35 at some point, for shallow DOF, low light and video recordings.

Shooting with the E1650P will be more satisfactory than you may expect. If under lowlight, keep the FL below 20mm so the lens is a tad faster, and accept higher ISO - it will still look ok under most circumstances.

I would wait with the 55210, unless you see the $244 deal at target. With the CIZ you can 'stretch' the E1650P to 100m, which suffices under a majority of circumstances.

One note - whether in iAuto or A-mode, the camera will go wide-open on the lens, then push shutter time down to 1/60th, and then increase ISO as light conditions worsen. I have found that keeping shutter time above 1/100th, with higher ISO, leads to more pleasing images, especially if people are the subject.

And if compactness is a factor, consider the E20. I use the Nex-5N with E20 nowadays, and am happily surprised how small this combination actually is...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow