Where to go from a D3100...?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Questions thread
whyamihere
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Re: Where to go from a D3100...?
In reply to SNphotos, Apr 23, 2013

SNphotos wrote:

Yes my mother offered to pay me for the value of my camera if I do in fact upgrade- so I have a budget of roughly somewhere between $800-1300 to purchase either a new body and/or better lenses.

At first, I did think of just getting better lenses instead of a whole new body but considering the d3100 requires AF-S lenses it is pricier.

My issues with the d3100 started out with its overall handling because it can be pretty slow at times as well as storage capabilities when I do large shoots. But I didn't really think about upgrading until a friend of mine bought a Canon T3i and when shooting with his camera I find everything is much smoother and the photos come out much more detailed and overall more dynamic.

I wish to stick with Nikon but this is why I came to this forum to try and get some opinions on which camera body might be a better upgrade to make my photo quality come out better and provide some ease when shooting.

I am researching the D7000 because that seems like it might be the best step- any more thoughts?

And also- where would be the best place to find one used?

Thanks again!

Ah, so my assumption was correct: You're starting to feel the limitations of the D3100 because of its market positioning, especially since you have a live subject in front of you. It's inhibiting your workflow rather than helping it along.

If you're looking for detailed and dynamic, the D7000 is a good camera to go for. I see it going for as little as $700 used in excellent condition on Adorama and B&H. Again, I'd go for a prime lens better suited to model photography for now (the 50mm f/1.8G) and continue to build a lens collection from there (maybe a decent DX zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture, or the other f/1.8G primes from Nikon like the 85mm and the 105mm). You can always take those with you when you upgrade again, be it another DX camera or an FX camera.

whyamihere's gear list:whyamihere's gear list
Nikon D7000 NEX5R Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow