Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?
In reply to vaxn8r, Apr 23, 2013

vaxn8r wrote:

I would be interested to see examples of image degradation due to VR usage when handheld. yeah, I'm skeptical.

Have you read Thom's article?  It makes sense in my view.  The sampling rate for the feedback loop has to top out somewhere.

I've taken photos of a soccer game with it both on an off during the game to test it and eventually left it off since I was shooting at 1/1600.  I couldn't tell that anything was degraded by doing that but I also couldn't tell if it made things better.  The photos looked good with it off so I concluded it's not necessary for over 1/500th.

One thing that no one's mentioned.. when it's off you don't have to hear and feel all the busy sounds of VR going on in the lens!  That's nice.  It also lets you know how busy VR causes the internals of the lens to be.

regards, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow