Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,211
Like?
Re: Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?
In reply to familypast, Apr 23, 2013

familypast wrote:

Hello All,

I am new to this forum (and to photography) and am looking for a telephoto lens to use on my Nikon d90 for birding. I've been combing through this forum, which has helped me narrow down my search to either the Sigma 50-500 or the Nikon 300mm f4 (along with a 1.4 TC).  I like the idea of a prime, so am leaning toward the Nikon 300mm.  However, I want something that I can use hand-held, so am worried about the 300mm's lack of VR.  How big of a deal is this?

If subject movement requires that you shoot at 1/500 or faster, you would not have any use for VR. It is only useful when hand holding at slower shutter speeds.

If your subject does not require fast shutter speeds it is likely that you would be able to shoot from a tripod. Even if there is some movement, a tripod with a gimbal would be viable.

I rented a Sigma 150-500 this past weekend (the 50-500mm wasn't available), but even with Sigma's OS (and a monopod), I didn't get many sharp pictures from it.  If I get soft, shaky pictures WITH image stabilization, than what will happen without it?  Or is it possible that I was doing something else wrong (e.g. wrong shutter speed, etc.)???  Again, I'm a newbie, so I was probably doing multiple things wrong.

If you were shooting at 1/500 or faster with VR on, that could be your problem.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow