The goal - First, grab your attention. . .

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,571Gear list
Like?
Re: 2nd goal - Tell a story. . .
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, Apr 23, 2013

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Excellent photos that does what I think photos should do.

When I say "Tell a story" I don't mean a full Stephen King novel, instead get the viewer thinking about what is going on in the picture and do a good job at expressing the environment.

We used to play a game with our kids where we would look at 1 photo and make up a story that fits the image.

I've thought about that a lot.   But invariably in the field I basically see a graphic arrangement that appeals to me, but 'story' doesn't come into play when engaged.  Some exposures will have the potential to invoke a story of some sort.  Actually, for something I like I'll review it periodically to see what associations come to mind (like the game you and the kids play) - even if only to have a theme to introduce them in the forum [g].

The theme that you used to introduce this set is universal and powerful.

Are you saying that the theme did not (consciously) guide you when positioning the camera during the exposures?

Precisely.   (edit)  To be clear, this is not how it should be done - it's just the way my sensibiilty works in the field.

ie, did the theme came to you after you'd looked at the imagery and started triaging for the forum?

It was the last image that sparked the notion to speak of keeping the eye engaged with compositional elements, along with some recent topics here that sort of touched on that subject (or, I thought they should have).   The others I thought to qualify as well, but wondered how they would be regarded in that vein.

In any event, I've come back to your visual essay several times over the last day or so.... to try to learn more about your execution of this theme.  For me 5 of the 6 images are very engaging and instructive.

"The goal - First, grab your attention ... capture your eye so to speak, then guide it about while keeping it on a leash so it doesn't leave the frame."

Is a great topic sentence for a paragraph.   I believe that we'd all appreciate more of that paragraph!

Thank you,

t

PS  I see that you shot the BBG in late afternoon (EDT?).   Do you get a black sky with some sort of jiggery pokery using "filters" to take out the blue in post processing??

Yes - with Silver Efex conversions I usually toy with the various color 'filters' while fleshing out potential - here the red filter was utilized to blacken the sky.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow