Custom Sport Settings for a Nikon D7100 and AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AvyJoe
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Custom Sport Settings for a Nikon D7100 and AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
Apr 23, 2013

I recently purchased a Nikon D7100 and AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II.  Most of my pictures are of my daughter and teammates playing club soccer.  Games are either during the day or early evening under lights.  These are not professional fields so the lighting is “good enough” to play under – adequate in some spots, lacking in others.  I typically stand midfield at ground-level when I shoot.  Meaning the subject can be 50 plus yards away on the same plane.  I would say the lens is zoomed out to its maximum 85% of the time.  The camera’s built-in “Sport” mode does okay during the day when the AF locks-in on the subject – sometimes it locks-in on something other than the subject such as another player or something across the field.  Moreover, games can start out in the day and finish at night, and depending on what sideline we are assigned to the sun can be anywhere from directly behind to directly in front.

With aforementioned, where would be a good place to start experimenting with manual settings?  ISO, shutter speed, white balance, etc.?  I can lock the f-stop to f/3.5, in manual mode, but as you know the f-stops creeps to f/5.6 at 200mm.  I considered buying Nikon’s relatively new AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR lens, but before I drop (gulp!) $1400 I thought I should experiment with camera’s manual setting.  Any insight would be appreciated.

- Joe

AvyJoe's gear list:AvyJoe's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow