captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,778Gear list
Like?
Re: Please see verybiglebowski's comparison with Nikon 14-24
In reply to BigG30, Apr 23, 2013

BigG30 wrote:

Faketastic wrote:

BigG30 wrote:

To all those obsessing over the graphs, charts and the "corner issue" with the NEX-7, then may I suggest you see VBL's blog with field test shots and not silly charts.

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/sony-sel-1018-f4-oss-vs-nikkor-14-24.html

Given the Nikon is an excellent yard stick for sharpness and highly regarded, I think the Sony does an excellent job to the point that noone would tell them apart even on a large print. The differences are almost immeasurable.

Yeah, why have a look at charts made in a controlled, repeatable way when you can do uncontrolled, subjective tests in changing enviroment?

Test charts are just test charts, in-field test shots (such as that link provided) compared directly with known excellent lenses help to put the test charts into practical context.

Why are you filled with such angst over this lens? If you're so upset over these test charts, you should reconsider your hobby in photography. There's more than enough evidence out there that the 10-18 is a very excellent lens with great results that I can confirm first hand - it's by far better than any other UWA I've owned.

My only big gripe with the 10-18mm is that there appears to be a question mark over Sony's QC - my first copy suffered from decentering most evident at 18mm and f/4. I've returned it for another copy. The jury is still out on Sony's QC, but if you get a good one then it's very good indeed.

How to get a good lens in the sample variance QC sweepstakes? It sounds like some kind of secret lottery, when you buy a Sony lens. You take your chances.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow