Is this amount of noise in the shadows normal?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Questions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,663Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this amount of noise in the shadows normal?
In reply to didida do da do da do da, Apr 23, 2013

didida do da do da do da wrote:

I just got my NEX-5R and while going through the picutres on my computer for the first time, I'm wondering whether the amount of color noise in the shadow in the lower right is normal.

Not much color -- let alone color noise -- in that photo.

The wide dynamic range in a photo like this means that the darker areas were exposed by darn few photons. This means photon shot noise (statistical variation in emission of photons over time) is probably a significant factor, and EVERY conventional camera will have the same problem. There is also an issue with JPEG encoding; JPEG works in a different colorspace (YUV vs. RGB) and normally drops a lot of the color information. The slight coloring could be JPEG roundoff.

You can easily remove the color noise with various software tools. In fact, some cameras (e.g., many Canons) tend to posterize near the ends of the dynamic range, which gives the appearance of lower noise, but is really just a lower resolved dynamic range.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow