Nikon D7100 left focus issue

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,358Gear list
Like?
Re: diffrent
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 23, 2013

Hi Mako,

That sounds quite logical and would point to a problem with the lens!

In fact the same problem with 3 different lenses but that is however, to say the least, quite a coincidence?

On the other hand, applying the logic and conclusion from Pepsican  in this thread, to my results, it would tell me exactly the opposite??

..."That the camera's PDAF system is miscalibrated"

So I'm still confused..  (camera or lens?)

Pepsican said that after doing the tests, as I did them,...

There are now couple of possible outcomes.

PDAF = CDAF = in focus --> There is no issue

PDAF Center = CDAF center but either Right PDAF <> Right CDAF or Left PDAF <> Left CDAF. We have a problem with the PDAF system.

Your center is sharp, in live view things are also sharp but the PDAF system cannot get sharp focus on the outer edges. This is the symptom that D800 users had and it is known as the left-focus issue. Basically, your PDAF system is miscalibrated and you need to send the camera in for a tune up.

The third possibility happens when both PDAF and CDAF do not give you sharp results. That points towards a problem with the lens rather than the camera. There may be some decentering if one side is weaker than the other. Or if left, right and center all show out-of-focus results, there may be front- or back focus. Which one it is, requires further testing.

This is the Pepsican's post on this http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51323456

??

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow