Which prime lens would be your pick in the 28-35mm range?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,982
Like?
Re: Which prime lens would be your pick in the 28-35mm range?
In reply to FChris180, Apr 23, 2013

FChris180 wrote:

Hallo, I am looking for a prime lens in the 28-35mm range for my Canon 6d  as a walk-around for reportage and landscape work (I would also like to include the Zeiss distagon 25mm f2 in the list even if it's a bit too much on the wide side).

I was looking into Canon, Sigma and Zeiss (no AF is not a major issue and I am aware of field curvature with some lenses as the Zeiss 28mm f2).

Canon 28/2.8 IS

Canon 35/2 IS

Sigma 35/1.4

Zeiss distagon 28/2 or 35/2 (in case even the 25/2)

Which would be your personal choice?

Do you think that the new IS prime lenses from Canon - 28mm IS and 35mm IS - together with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 can provide a quite similar micro-contrast and rendition as the Zeiss lenses?

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion,

I own the Zeiss 28F2, Sigma 35F1.4 Art, and Canon 24F2.8IS.  They are all fantastic optically.  For me personally, I will eventually sell the Zeiss 28 because my inability to get critical focus on manual can be an issue that negates the fantastic optics of the lens and ii) its kinds a bulky and heavy lens and I much prefer the Canon 24F2.8IS.

The Canon 24IS, and the 28IS I imagine as well, makes a great walk around because it is so light.  Also, the IS is nice for landscape photography and for travel. Here are a few shots:

I would highly recommend the Sigma 23F1.4 Art.  Very sharp wide open, even in the corners and great contrast and no issues with AF.  I find it to be like a baby Zeiss in build quality, and with AF to boot! Here are a few shots:

Chris

-- hide signature --

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow