Why I HATE the term "capture" for taking a photo...

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
lycraloon
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Why I HATE the term "capture" for taking a photo...
In reply to Paul Farace, Apr 23, 2013

I'm not altogether sure I agree with you. I like the analogy you use of setting up a trap and "capturing" the quary so let's expand on that a little.

Your input into the result is what makes the outcome the desired one (or not if you get your settings wrong or have some kind of malfunction) but you are out there with your trap, (the camera) and you set up the kind of shot that appeals to you. The image is captured and frozen in that one moment in time and unless you are shooting a still, chances are you would never be able to capture that one moment again. Even a fraction of a second later.

I say this because I like to shoot wildlife. Now some folk get this image of me with a gun and it upsets them something aweful. (sometimes they even pound my head) but when I say I captured the image of a bird in flight, or a leopard stalking its prey, this seems to be OK wth them.

I prefer to use the term "shoot", but one has to be careful. "Capture" is not as bad as it sounds. You didn't luck out at all. You set out with purpose to capture an image and it may or may not be something that can be replicated. And sometime capturing the image is a whole lot more difficult than just aiming and shooting and lucking out on an acceptable outcome.

I guess it depends on your perspective.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow