Using a D7100 in AUTO mode???

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
lordofthelints
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
It can get worse: A D800 on Auto!
In reply to krikman, Apr 23, 2013

I can honestly say that I never used auto on a digital camera. But, that's only because I started in digital photography with 35mm film in my mind.

And, in fact, I myself used my ancient Minolta Dynax 700si in auto too! Ridicious off course. It was one of the best analog bodies of that time. But i've used it for almost 2 years in P mode! Looking back on that time I can say it didn't get me started the right way in photography. I was bored and lost my interest in taking photo's. I even sold my complete kit.

Years later, I bought a manual focus Pentax Super A with a bunch of prime lenses. That really got me started! It was the best decision ever. And since that time, i haven't touched a auto or creative auto setting again!

A couple weeks ago a father of a friend of mine bought a Nikon D800. He even calls himself a pro. But he doesn't understand a damn thing about the camera. He cannot understand why his exposure is off all the time. His son (my friend) has to set his camera every time before going on a shoot.

Last weekend we went together. He didn't make one single photograph because he was annoyed that the D800 was shooting everything at iso 6400! Yes, you guessed it right. It was on auto! I made hunderds of great shots that day using my D7100 to it's full potential.

This post is not troll intended. But I think there is something right regarding the topicstarter's opinion about auto mode usage. I wouldn't think about using auto on a d7100. The (pro) guy I mentioned had a Nikon D70 before and was really happy with it. Now he is wowed by the photos me and my friend can produce with his d800, and he is losing the fun of taking pictures himself because his camera is too advanced for his liking.

(sorry for my bad english.. )

lordofthelints's gear list:lordofthelints's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 +47 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow