Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,287Gear list
Like?
Hypocrisy
In reply to jayrandomer, Apr 23, 2013

jayrandomer wrote:

James Cricket wrote:

Suave wrote:

This tax is demanded by the states, and the states, by a large margin are governed by the Republicans.   If you count governors and exclude states with no sales tax you endup with 2:1 ratio.

jcampy wrote:

Democrats have never seen a tax they didn't like.

Exactly. They trumpet tax cuts and freedoms but try to get you through the back door while catering to corporate interests and "defending" marriage.  'Merica

First off, this isn't a tax, it's simply an improved mechanism for collecting existing taxes.  If you're lucky enough to already live in New Hampshire you're still going to get most things tax free because there's no sales tax in New Hampshire.

And many states offset a low or non-existent income tax with sales tax, so being able to properly collect sales taxes is something they would like.   To collect taxes outside of their state, however, likely requires the intervention of the federal government (a legitimate use of the "interstate commerce clause").

Please post the relevant section regarding sales taxes.

Digression: One wonders how this will impact those states who host large mail order & Internet sales retailers when sales dry up.

I think it's silly to blame Obama or Republicans for this; it's a deficiency in the sales-tax structure that wasn't really important until large-scale shipping of products across state lines became common.

I think it is silly not to.

It's one of the very few "loopholes" that folks of all economic classes have and will cease to enjoy. (I'm calling it a loophole at the moment for lack of a better word. If I think of something better, I'll type it in before posting.) This legislation should be left alone. The Republicans support this action because it is a less visible way to increase tax revenue than considering the income tax for those states who do not have such a tax or raising the income tax rate for states that already have an income tax. Republicans, just like Democrats, can't help but spend money and need more. It's the hypocrisy of their party and philosophical platform.

Speaking of hypocrisy. I wonder how many folks who post pro taxation or pro brick and mortar screeds (incredulous on its face) in these types of threads have taken advantage of Internet and Mail order purchasing to save thousands of dollars in sales taxes on their own purchases.  I suspect that such folks posting in these threads do so despite their own actions to the contrary because they have some need to belittle folks, to vent frustrations in their private lives and topics like this seem like easy pickings. I am not pointing fingers at any specific poster by the way.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DuhNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow