Best type of light for portaiture?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Best type of light for portraiture?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 23, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

I have seen many photographers start doing portraiture with hot-shoe flash units and give up because they can't get good results because they can't see and understand the lighting like they would if they had used studio strobes with modeling lights.

I've seen just as many give up because they are told they need $5000 dollars worth of equipment to "do it right."  The "investment" in speedlights and triggers is low, and isn't wasted if one upgrades to monolights because they are still useful when traveling.  Alternatively, I've seen guys buy entire three light studios and not have a clue what to do, sending light every which way and giving up as well.

I do agree that monolights, with variable power modeling lights that change with the same ratio as the main lights is nice.  It is nice to have 1 second refresh.  It is nice have gobs of light "power" to waste through different modifiers.

Where I disagree is beginners need to start there.

Working with speedlights isn't so tough.  You can find single light and speedlight workshops almost everywhere.  One learns how light works very quickly, in my experience.

I like the concept of starting with one light and adding a reflector...then moving to two.  If one goes slowly one really starts to understand light and modeling lights, while nice, are totally unnecessary.  In fact, a comment about annoying the model with setup time and chimping, made in this thread or possibly another, is also true with modeling lights.  It is much nicer to not have to sit under the constant blaze of modeling lights.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow