First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Sigma 35mm 1,4 + Nikon 85 1,8G
In reply to r0gue, Apr 23, 2013

I'm new to DSLRs.  Some photography enthusiast friends gave me a lot of instruction and I found myself enticed to a full frame D800.  That was a loong contemplation and a LOAD of research and advice.  But that said, I find the lens decision a little more challenging.

(I think) I want a nice prime for faces, family, friends. Thinking of a 50 or 85.  Either in a 1.4 or 1.8.

And (I think) I want a nice ll around zoom lens.

I'd love to hear some advice from all of you.  I'll keep poking around to continue learning.  Thank for your help!

Hi,

that depends on your budget.

I did the same as you did: TONS and TONS and TONS of research for my first DSLR (after using a Sigma DP1 for years) and also decided on the D800. And every imagehas been a feast after that (not counting the first weeks to get used to it).

If you want exactly two lens: my choice would (and will be!) the Sigma 35mm 1,4 and after that the Nikon 85 1,8G. Those are lenses that do the sensor as much justice as possible.

Please be aware than even the high end zoom lenses (like the 24-70) do not reach the optical level of primes.

The 50mm 1.8G is also a no brainer with an excellent IQ per buck ratio (note that it does not reach the level of the better primes). That's why I started with the one - but I will sell it once I can afford the other two lenses.

Cheers

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow