Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,745Gear list
Like?
Re: Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?
In reply to familypast, Apr 23, 2013

familypast wrote:

However, I want something that I can use hand-held, so am worried about the 300mm's lack of VR.  How big of a deal is this?

Handholding at 300 mm (or 420 mm with a converter) at relatively low ISO's for best image quality increases the chance of unsharp images due to camera shake at such a narrow angles of view.

However VR does little to reduce camera shake at shutter speeds faster than about 1/500 although it can help autofocus keep an erratically moving bird in focus in the viewfinder.

Many use a tripod with Gimbal type head to reduce camera shake whilst still being able to relatively easy follow a bird in the viewfinder.

Nikon are long overdue putting VR in the 300 mm f4. With this in mind I would buy second hand if you go for the Nikon prime. The Nikon is not a zoom but has better image quality and faster autofocus than the zoom. The zoom offers more convenience and reach.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow