First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeneZh
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Re: Perturbed by the Rudeness and Hostility on these Forums
In reply to r0gue, Apr 23, 2013

r0gue wrote:

Anthony Nadia wrote:

...I'm not about to question why you as a beginner are considering a D800.  As a matter of fact, I applaud you for having the good instincts to buy something superb, sophisticated and flexible that you won't grow out of in a year.

Thank you for the kind words.  My quest started in the DX models and I was soon convinced that FX was where I wanted to be based on the number of folks I'd noticed selling their DX to go FX.  Many of them were going to the Canon (E6?) model which is a pretty nice price right now.  But something about the feel of the Nikon, and the numbers of people I'd noticed embracing them in the forums led me that way.  I'm a technology guy, so I can appreciate specs, but what I really like is that in 10 years, this will still be a great camera.  So front loading the investment will not be a waste like over-buying a PC now would be in say.. 10 years.  So in short, why not?  

I think I'll have three lenses in short order, but the one that I get WITH the D800 will be the discounted lens, so I want to leverage the maximum discount.

Lens Sale

That's the page I'm looking at.  If I'm ultimately going to get a lens from the top row, better to get it now if you know what I mean.  hehe

I noticed your mentioning the feel of Nikon, can't help to say some more.  Before I bought my D800, which is my 1st SLR and DSLR, I focused my research more on Nikon than Canon.  I don't know how I got the idea that Nikon is like Honda and Canon is like Toyota.  I don't like our RAV4 (it's ugly), but I like my Civic.  And I feel Toyota and Canon have too many lines of products, and a company with many lines probably would not make as good products as a company that has just a few specialized lines.  So I preoccupied my self with Nikon.  But I wish I had done more research on Canon, because I found that my feel of my lenses basically agrees with the test results of photozone.net, and based on their tests I feel that canon lenses are probably a little better than Nikon. Besides, I'm still not able to make my D800 focus right consistently on the 1.8 primes.  So now I wish I had gone with Canon, but I'm stuck with Nikon as my system is already complete now.

It's just my personal thought. Yours may be different.  So my suggestion is do good research on both Canon & Nikon, then make a decision.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow