Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Decentering is disappointing
In reply to captura, Apr 23, 2013

captura wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

I sure wish Sony would fix that.  I've had to exchange both of my current lenses (55-210 and 16-50) both of which seemed to have a symptom of de-centering (more blurry on one side than the other.)

Especially with them keeping retail prices right near MSRP, I would think the margin on the 10-18 must be pretty good.

The sharpness of the 10-18 is impressive though--seems to be class leading especially at 10mm which is the most critical focal length on the lens like this.

The DxOMark test of this lens showed it performs pretty well too (compared with other similar zooms) with the exception of the vignetting.  That's another thing they should have done better IMO.  The rear element on the 10-18 looks very small--much smaller than on my Pentax 12-24.  That shortcut could be the reason for the vignetting.

Bart

-- hide signature --

QC variances are an acknowledged problem with their cheaper lenses, but at this price?

I agree completely.  Even at half the price, I think it shouldn't be so apparently common (maybe 10% field failure rate is okay, but 50% is never okay no matter what the price IMO.)

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow