Fenway Pics: My sons ipod is often better than my 5D

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 20,737
Like?
Re: Fenway Pics: My sons ipod is often better than my 5D
In reply to jburrows500, Apr 23, 2013

jburrows500 wrote:

I think you are missing the point Joe...  I was simply making a comment about the gap between a $3500 dollar piece of equipment (cost of a new 5D when they were introduced with 28-105 kit lens) purchased 10 years ago is narrowing to the point where a $250 dollar pocket size piece of equipment can "sometimes" equal, and in some cases, exceed that of equipment once far superior... Just my humble opinion..  you may not agree.. not all people who pick up a Lecia M3 or M8 loved them either..

Only as a function of superior ready-made software.

If you think about it.. does a camera really have to take a picture capable of being enlarged to a 20x30 in this day and age.. I would venture to say that 98% of all pictures taken by the average Joe.. prosumers included, take them of family, kids, general landscape, vacations, etc.. How do we share theses digital images?  We share them via Facebook, Smugmug, Picassa, etc..  When was the last time invited over the inlaws to sit around the coffee table and enjoy a night of browsing through the photo albums.. better yet, of all of your digital images that reside on your multiple drives can you say you printed out larger than a 8x10?  I would venture to guess less than 5%..  Unless your doing magazine work.. is there really any need for a 20+MB camera?

I completely concur.  I've often said that, in terms of IQ, a good compact, and even a cell phone, can get the job done for the vast majority in the majority of situations.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow