MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Dependable (cheap) Radio Slave
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 23, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

mbloof wrote:

Since when is off camera ETTL not a good idea?

I'd recommend getting two YN568EX's, a light stand and a hotshoe mount/lightbox and have some fun!

TTL basically assumes the subject and background add up to 18% gray.  E-TTL and i-TTL add in a small correction for measured subject distance as reported by some, but not all, lenses.  If the subject plus background are brighter or darker than 18% gray then the TTL exposure will be off.

A good example would be taking a photo of a bride in a white dress with a white wall for a background.  Alternatively think about a groom in a black suit against some dark green shrubbery.  The TTL exposures would result in gray and depressing images is both cases.

If your background or subject brightness changes, even if the subject to flash distance is fixed, then the TTL exposure changes.  Just zooming in or out, which change the subject to background ratio in the image, is frequently enough to change the exposure.

You can pretty much expect to have to individually correct the exposure of each and every image taken with any form of TTL.

If the subject to flash distance is constantly changing, then TTL is a good idea since it will get you close to the right exposure, especially if you are good at applying Flash Exposure Compensation.

If the subject to flash distance is fixed, which is usually the case with off-camera flash, manual flash power control will give you identical exposures every time.  Changing clothing, backgrounds, or zooming would have no effect.  Even if the exposure is off a bit it is only necessary to correct it on one image then apply the same exposure adjustment globally to all the other images.

another app -- fast paced ettl ratios so as not to blow the highlights in the veil as he shows in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTUuFGTHskY

that said, I went with odins - quicker on the fly, more reliable, longer run usb updates, works in ettl and manual from the camera with my multiple 550ex's and 5d, and my other cameras.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow