Why Mirrorless cameras and Micro 4/3rds, in particular, are important to me.

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 4,686
Like?
Re: Continuous AF
In reply to Midwest, Apr 23, 2013

Midwest wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

[snip]

Sure - but if you are talking about M43s it is only tracking that might not be up to a pro level DSLR. Single shot AF is generally faster to autofocus. If you bring the GH3 into the equation it might not stand up to a D300 or D7000 level APS-C camera in tracking or continuous autofocus, but it will give other APS-C DSLRs a run for their money even in tracking.

I own both a Canon 7D and a GH2 and I like both, but I am also realistic about the limitations of PDAF.  I have done a lot of experimentation with the GH2's AF-C system for birds in flight and it is unusable.  All the M4/3 birds in flight photographers that I know use single shot AF.

An extract from the GH3 review on this forum:

"The tracking system, can be a little reluctant to lock-on to a subject (such that we doubt it will achieve a lock in time to catch most fast-occuring events). Once locked the camera will attempt to re-focus with the subject but the results we got were pretty hit-and-miss, with the camera frequently refocusing onto the background or not keeping-up with the subject."

This is no better than the GH2 and all other mirrorless cameras.  So far only the hybrid Nikon 1 Series has solved the problem of continuous PDAF focusing.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

I'll be honest, while I don't shoot BIF, I've had much better results with the GH3 than previous M43s cameras in tracking mode. It's possible to lock on a person or a car etc and get decent focus tracking, even on objects heading directly towards you.
Certainly up to entry level DSLR tracking

Just curious, what do you base that on? I always try to be open-minded.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

There's a couple of things to keep in mind here.

The first is that there are two autofocus modes that are discussed and regularly confused.

The first, and more common is continuous autofocus. This is known as AI Servo AF (Canon) or AF-C (Nikon). This autofocus mode works quite well on the OM-D, assuming you're using current m4/3 lenses. I used it for my motocross shots and achieved focus for around 90% of all shots. (220 or so photos taken, 200 in focus).

The second autofocus mode is tracking autofocus. This allows the tracking of a subject as they move across the frame, and across the various focus sensors. This mode, by all accounts doesn't work well on the OM-D. It's supposed to be somewhat similar to AF Point expansion (7D and up) and directly comparable to AF Point Auto Switching (1Dx & 5dMK3).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
M5?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NiceNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow