Which NEX lenses have the "WOW" factor?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,248
Like?
Re: Which NEX lenses have the "WOW" factor?
In reply to SteveS58, Apr 22, 2013

SteveS58 wrote:

I'm a long time Olympus DSLR user (most recently E-30) who recently purchased the NEX 6.  I purchased the camera with the 16-50 kit lens.  I've been having a great time getting acquainted with the camera, love the small form factor, and the improved IQ over my E-30.  While the kit lens is adequate, there's no "wow" factor like there is with my Zuiko 50-200 lens or 14-54 lens.  Obviously a kit lens can not compete with these.  So now that I'm comfortable with the new camera, I'm ready to spread my wings and buy some better quality lenses.  I do street photography, portraits, landscapes, etc.  So I was looking for some real life experience on which lenses give you that "wow" factor.  Your advice is much appreciated.

What wows can be different for different people. But more often than not, when people pointed to wow image, they meant good resolution and contrast, shallow DOF, low aberrations, and smooth bokeh. No matter how you slice it, the prerequisites are sharp, good quality, large aperture lenses. Large apertures and good quality usually come with a big price tag. If you are willing to throw enough money after this and live with some inconveniencies, you can adapt big Canon and Nikon glass (maybe even using SpeedBooster) and get very good results. Cheap SLR lenses of yesteryear aren't good at large apertures. Among the native lenses, you can find large apertures on 50mm/1.8 (28mm) and 55-210/4.5-6.3 (33.3mm) lenses. The former should give you a good 'wow', it's fast and sharp, the latter is lacking sharpness at the long end, so you might not be as wowed by it. The next candidate could be 35mm/1.8, which has a smaller aperture of under 20mm, so though being sharp it's has less potential to wow.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow