First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anthony Nadia
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Perturbed by the Rudeness and Hostility on these Forums
In reply to r0gue, Apr 22, 2013

Like you, I am new to the DPReview forums and am rather dismayed at some of the responses received to simple questions like yours.  On this past weekend, while perusing the various forums, I've read responses which are downright hostile, rude, condescending, irreverent, sarcastic, and often irrelevant.  People reaching out with honest questions are sometimes ridiculed, criticized and berated.  Who does that???  These haters seem to be bitter, angry, unhappy, or more likely, insecure with themselves.

Descending from my soapbox.  Oh, btw, I'm not about to question why you as a beginner are considering a D800.  As a matter of fact, I applaud you for having the good instincts to buy something superb, sophisticated and flexible that you won't grow out of in a year.  Funny how your decision was questioned even though you stated you did your due diligence with research and advice from friends.  Hey, I'm a technological idiot, yet I ran out and picked up a D4 without researching.  (Oh, heaven forbid I say D4, because I'll be accused by another member of bragging, like a douche-bag did on another thread).  Sorry, slow descent from the soapbox.

Finally to answer your question:  Buy quality glass if you can.  A nice all around zoom that you will want to keep for a long time, the 24-70mm 2.8.  And a nice prime for faces, family, & friends, I would go with the 85mm 1.4G.  I hope I didn't disappoint some people by neglecting to berate this poor chap for not starting with a point and shoot, or suggesting he buy a circular fisheye and   a 500mm telephoto instead of what he is asking about.  Fully alit from the soapbox.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow