Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Pancake lenses greater than 20mm focal length
In reply to ryan2007, Apr 22, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

BlueTrain wrote:

I currently find myself in the market for a CSC, mainly because I need something more portable than my DSLR with all the tripods and other parephanalia.

Portability is definitely one of my priorities. I see little point in having a wonderfully small camera that will fit in my coat pocket and then putting a large kit lens on it so it will end up needing to be carried in a bag (just my preferences here - this just wont work for me, may as well carry the 5D round all day)

My most commonly used lens on my 5D is the 50mm 1.4 and it would be great to have something approximating to this on a smaller camera (if not in IQ but in field of view)

I'm interested in the E-PL3 or the GF3 due to the availability of the pancake lenses, but can't find anything with a longer focal length that 20mm (which I guess approximates to about 30mm on my full frame dslr) and this may be a little too wide for my everyday shooting.

Also toying with the NX1000 or NX200, again cos of the smaller lenses (and have no particular preference for mf3). All these seem to be about the same price at the moment with a standard kit lens, which covers the right focal lengths for me but they just seem too bulky.

So I guess my question is, are there any less bulky/pancake style lenses available that would get a little closer to the 50mm on my 5D or am I just restricted to the wide angle?

May have to rethink the CSC option if i'm going to need a kit lens to get what I need.

Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Look to the Fuji mirrorless system.

The Fuji XE-1 or Xpro-1.  Fuji has a 27 mm 2.8 on the road map that will be equal to 41 mm 2.8 as a pancake lens. The sensor is larger than MFT's, conversion is 1.5x like Nikon DX.

Why look at an unreleased Fuji 27/2.8 when we already have the excellent Panasonic 20/1.7, especially since the poor RAW converter support for the Fujis makes IQ significantly worse than for MFT?

Digital still quality is a step better than Panasonic and Olympus and I am fully invested in the Panasonic GH-3 with the 7-14, 12-35, 35-100 and 45 macro. I do a fair bit of video so that is my main need for now.  I am waiting to see what the Xpro-2 will offer.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow