gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
Re: That "L" lens "look" - Canon v Sigma 35mm1.4
In reply to photokandi, Apr 22, 2013

photokandi wrote:

schmegg wrote:

kipling wrote:

So what do you think? Does any undefinable quality of the Canon lens overcome the technical superiority of the Sigma lens?

I have used both and settled with the Sigma. I liked it just a bit more - and value wise, in my personal opinion, it is a clear winner.

But, as you say, it is very subjective, and there certainly is room for disagreement (as there should be in any rational discussion about which of two fine lenses is better!)

I totally agree with you that sharpness isn't everything. And if I already owned the Canon, or the Zeiss, then I wouldn't consider trading for the Sigma. I'm fairly certain that all these 35's are more than capable of delivering top quality images.

If both lenses were the same price I doubt you would have the Sigma on your camera right now.

I recently sold my Canon 35 1.4 after acquiring a Sigma 35 1.4. Truth in advertising, I bought the Sigma to use on my Nikon D800.  Nonetheless, I was rather disappointed with the Canon's high level of CA especially at large apertures.  I had been hoping for an update before switching to Nikon.

So far, the Sigma hasn't let me down.  In addition to sharpness, it produces fantastic color and contrast.  I have no doubt that I'd choose it over the Canon 35 if I wanted a 35mm for my Canon photography (I still shoot Canon but only use 2-3 lenses).

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow