Why I HATE the term "capture" for taking a photo...

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dreemer
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes i did, i created the image
In reply to Richard, Apr 22, 2013

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Cameras are not self aware and cannot self operate, the lens (created/built by man) creates the image, i decide on the settings and processing, the result is my creation.

Cameras are not self aware, though they take pictures all by themselves being instructed or told by a computer to do it. The computer no more created anything using a camera by sending a signal to the camera to fire than the human that pulled the trigger.

The creative part is where you place the camera which I would say is creative, but it is not creating something.

Yes it is creating something, the lens is what creates the image, an image of a subject don’t exist until a lens is pointed at said subject.

SteveMi

I agree the camera, not you created a picture, You may have pointed it in some direction but the camera created a bitmap or jpg. you just pressed a button. Again there may be a creative process in selecting the subject, perspective or even editing the image created by the camera. But you created nothing. The camera created a jpeg, the printer created a print, they created something. You pointed the camera and pressed a button.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this issue

Best wishes Richard

SteveMi

Dreemer's gear list:Dreemer's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow