Why I HATE the term "capture" for taking a photo...

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,768
Like?
Re: Yes i did, i created the image
In reply to Dreemer, Apr 22, 2013

Dreemer wrote:

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Paul Farace wrote:

Maybe I am not looking at it the right way...   input?

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

I think Creation would be a more realistic description than Capture.

Creation encompasses the whole process from start to finish, (wherever you start, wherever you finish). As i see it Capture is one part of the creation, the Capture being the stored data in the raw file or the unprocessed negative.

SteveMi

You take a picture of creation. It was created, you only captured a tiny piece of it. You may edit your picture just as a farmer might farm his crops, but he did not create them, at best he augmented the process by supplying more consistent water, fertilizer or even pest control but had no hand in the creative processes.

As a photographer you create nothing. You capture an image. Even if you manipulate it you did not create it. It was already created. IMHO

If i take a hammer, chisel and a block of stone (none of which i created) and chip away at the stone i create a sculpture. In the same way using the camera/lens, light and editing tools (none of which i created) i create an image. Both the sculpture and the image exist only as an idea in my mind until my actions bring them into being. Images don’t exist until a lens creates them.

SteveMi

Well then by using your logic, I would say you did not create the picture, the camera created the picture. You just pressed the button.

Cameras are not self aware and cannot self operate, the lens (created/built by man) creates the image, i decide on the settings and processing, the result is my creation.

Cameras are not self aware, though they take pictures all by themselves being instructed or told by a computer to do it. The computer no more created anything using a camera by sending a signal to the camera to fire than the human that pulled the trigger.

The creative part is where you place the camera which I would say is creative, but it is not creating something.

Yes it is creating something, the lens is what creates the image, an image of a subject don’t exist until a lens is pointed at said subject.

SteveMi

I agree the camera, not you created a picture, You may have pointed it in some direction but the camera created a bitmap or jpg. you just pressed a button. Again there may be a creative process in selecting the subject, perspective or even editing the image created by the camera. But you created nothing. The camera created a jpeg, the printer created a print, they created something. You pointed the camera and pressed a button.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow