Several unhappy x100s owners posting, but look at this and tell me...

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
Re: Several unhappy x100s owners posting, but look at this and tell me...
In reply to motobloat, Apr 22, 2013

Excellent post, motobloat (that username makes me smile). Good points that many, many more ought to read.

motobloat wrote:

jaxwired wrote:

Here are the other pics with zero post processing.  Out of the camera JPEGS.  My bad.  I should have posted them this way to begin way.  Apologies to all.

The more time you spend building photographic and artistic skills, the less time you will spend post processing and fiddling with your images.

Excessive post-processing is just an attempt to make bland images come to life - over saturation, extreme black and white conversions, sepia tone, film simulations, fake cross-processing, glowing HDR, vignetting, excessive sharpening - basically anything you see on instagram.  It's taking a tool out of the photographer's toolbox (all of the above have their uses), and then cranking up the dial to 11, even though the image doesn't need it.  What the image usually does need is a better composition, better subject, better lighting, etc.

While the second batch of pictures is less "exciting" in that sense, they are better photos.  Hint: noise reduction almost always reduces image quality - I have my X100s set at -2, and I don't add any in post processing.

The main thing I would work on if I were you is stepping back just a bit to get everything in the frame, so you can crop and adjust the composition later.  The tree, and two of the shots of the boy, both could use a little more room around the edges.  You can always crop later, but you can't "un-crop" something.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow