One or two SSDs for Lightroom laptop

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?
Re: One or two SSDs for Lightroom laptop
In reply to ilysaml, Apr 22, 2013

ilysaml wrote:

I get your point and I get everyone's else, but there's no real world benefit to me using a second SSD as a scratch disk since you already have a SSD as a boot drive. If you already have a good amount and fast enough memory, try setting up a RAMDISK and see the real world difference.

I think you are missing the point that this is more than just the scratch disk.  The scratch disk is only one small part of the equation and, for most, is nothing in size compared to the rest.  If it was just that, then I wouldn't see a need for a second SSD.  A RAMDisk could be an option if you keep the scratch disk small enough for those with 16-32GB of RAM.  But if you are planning on working with a 20-25GB scratch disk like I do, then it becomes cost prohibitive where cost far outweighs the benefit gain you would get over an SSD.

Try putting the catalog and previews files, again they have to be in the same location, on a RAMdisk and it will be nearly impossible in situations like mine where I would need 100+ GB of dedicated RAM to house it.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow