dpmaxwell
Regular MemberPosts: 393Gear list
Like?
Re: Review of 10-18 is up at photozone.de
In reply to viking79, Apr 22, 2013

viking79 wrote:

Faketastic wrote:

Which cheap UW zooms can match this?

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (was around $450 new) is pretty comparable, and I prefer my Samsung 12-24mm f/4-5.6 ($600 or $450 when bought with a camera and if the $150 lens deal is running).  The Samsung doesn't go as wide, but has more range.  I find the 18-24mm range is actually very useful (don't have to change as often).

Tamron 10-24mm seems pretty comparable, Nikkor 10-24mm is about the same price.  The point is the Sony seems to be priced up there with the likes of Nikkor, Canon, etc.  Nothing wrong with it one way or the other, just expensive.  It does well enough stopped down.  My point is I don't disagree with what PZ wrote in the conclusion section, doesn't mean I don't like the lens.

If I were to buy a NEX again I would certainly buy that lens, but it is kind of pricey for a 10-18mm f/5.6.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

I don't know about those other lenses you mention,  but the Sigma I have used and it doesn't compare well to the Sony at all IQ wise. Price/value wise it competes well, though.

I agree that the Sony is somewhat expensive, but for what it offers in the absence of other comparable options, I can see why they have priced it where they have. The small size, native mounting and all that entails, OSS, f/4 aperture across the zoom range, coupled with the likely lower sales volume they expect vs. more normal focal lengths. I think it is a solid value. Sure I'd like to see it at $600, or $500. Well not really, since I bought one, now I want the price to stay where it is.  LOL

dpmaxwell's gear list:dpmaxwell's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow