Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Re: Best type of light for portraiture?
In reply to TristatePhoto, Apr 22, 2013

TristatePhoto wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

TristatePhoto wrote:

Easy. Yungnuo 560 II + 8 pack of Eneloops Rechargeable batteries with battery charger.

Also get yourself a cheap light stand for $30 or less that comes with a bracket holder and since you don't have an assistant I'd go with a 43" umbrella that can be used as shoot through or bounce.

Truthfully there is no such thing as "best type of light" for portraiture.

Some photos look better with bare flash, some soft light, some you can get away with using the mid day sun.

What manners more is that you

A. Know how the inverse square law works and how it can work for you and against you.

That is working by rote.

B. Know your lighting profiles and how to position your light source or yourself to your light source (such as the sun) to get the proper lighting that you want.

That's also working by rote. That's all you can do when you have no modelling lights.

Working by a pre-determined set of rules is fair enough, when it's all you CAN do.

But it is an extremely hard way to LEARN to light, and it is also a lot slower and less involving when you HAVE learned.

Shooting a lot will also teach you how to see the light.

Except that you CAN'T actually see it until you have a test shot, and then you are seeing it only 3" across instead of life size.

Even then, you are giving your attention to the back of a camera, which means you are NOT giving it to the model. Photographers have no idea how annoying this constant chimping is for the model. It is extremely rude. If you MUST do it, you must share the image with the model to involve her fully in the business of being photographed.

I don't know where you're getting your information from but its all incorrect.

First off, learning how to use off camera flash is very easy. I managed to get excellent results my first time using an umbrella with a model and you do have an idea of what the lighting will look like if you start to gain experience using flash.

Unfortunately, I do not consider your results so "excellent" as you do. In fact, I think your results are second rate, at best. That is being as kind about them as I can.

Moreover, even if your results were very good indeed, it certainly would NOT make camera-top battery flash the "best type of light for portraiture"... which is the information the OP was requesting.

Your photography might improve a lot, if you made the change to a professional style of lighting kit.

That would be my advice to you.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow