how can I protect my photos?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard Innes
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
Re: how can I protect my photos?
In reply to yaourt, Apr 22, 2013

In terms of backing up photos while at home, I wouldn't feel safe without my cloud backup. I a couple of backups within my house (i.e. photos copied to an external drive and an Apple TimeCapsule backup solution that backs automatically backs up my entire drive), but even so if there was ever a fire (touch wood there isn't...) then any form of "on-site" backup would potentially perish along with my computer.

I use BackBlaze (http://www.backblaze.com) and its fantastic - I backup my entire 450gb or so of HD to it (including about 250gb of photos). Admittedly the initial backup takes a long time (talking in the order of weeks - think 450gb took about 3 weeks), but it just does it in the background and uploading doesn't affect download speeds (at least in my case) so no problem. Once the initial backup is complete it runs in the background and performs delta change backups - just sending the parts of the file that have changed and obviously backing up any new files.

If the worst happens you can choose the option to get a 1TB drive (or multiples thereof) with your data on for about $99 I think and they version all your files, so you can download individual files and previous versions too through their web interface. Really happy with them.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.
Canon 5Dmk3

Richard Innes's gear list:Richard Innes's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow